Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm a Neo-Wagonist

I've mentioned that my wife is pregnant, but I haven't mentioned that I've been on a self-imposed drinking sabbatical since we announced the pregnancy in mid-October. There have been exceptions - a full glass from each batch that I brew, occasional tiny tastes of other beers, diving off the wagon completely for my brother's wedding - but, in general, I'll be a brewer who doesn't drink beer until early June. I doubt that many people have been in my position, so I sort of feel like a rebel. I also feel like a tool, especially at homebrew club meetings. It's been difficult, but it's nothing compared with what Rachel is going through. Whenever somebody asks me why I'm doing such an idiotic thing, I think "because I'm a gentlemans" in Ry Cooder's voice. I have no idea where that came from, but it's enough to keep me enthusiastic about my decision.

1 comment:

John Wyatt said...

Here's to Joe.

A better man than me.